[Zope] dtml-sendmail and envelop sender [Q]

Bruno Mattarollo bruno@dynamic.greenpeace.org
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:42:55 +0100

Hi

    First of all, thanks to everyone that is helping in this issue!

    I have been looking again and again at the specs and I found this in the
RFC 822:

<!--StartFragment-->
     4.4.4.  AUTOMATIC USE OF FROM / SENDER / REPLY-TO

        For systems which automatically  generate  address  lists  for
        replies to messages, the following recommendations are made:

            o   The "Sender" field mailbox should be sent  notices  of
                any  problems in transport or delivery of the original
                messages.  If there is no  "Sender"  field,  then  the
                "From" field mailbox should be used.

            o   The  "Sender"  field  mailbox  should  NEVER  be  used
                automatically, in a recipient's reply message.

<!--EndFragment-->

So according to the spec I should use "Sender: <dtml-var
OurBounceProcessingAccount>" in our DTML-Method that uses dtml-sendmail, no?

I mentionned the envelope-sender because in the postfix mailing list, when I
asked to whom the message will bounce, I got the answer "to the
envelope-sender"... So all this is about how to set up the envelope-sender
using Zope and postfix... I see that Sender is not related to the
envelope-sender ... Is the envelope-sender then the user that is passed to
postfix when doing the SMTP connection and giving the mail from: command?
Maybe my mistake is in the term "envelope-sender"?

Cheers and thanks again!

/B