[Zope] newbie zope question -- stuck in quick-start page

Sundar Narasimhan sundar@ascent.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:15:23 -0500

Hi, Phil and Casey: My problems turned out to be a problem with
several versions of IE (5.0, 5.01 etc.).

When I upgraded to the latest 5.5 edition, the problem disappeared.

Of course, it makes me a bit nervous about Zope.. (I'm less worried about
the fact that it doesn't work on some of these popular versions of
browsers than the fact that when the error occurred there was NO
information about what was wrong printed out to the console etc. I
spent hours trying to change this or that.. and it was only by chance
I decided to try nn 4.5 that I had lying around, and was pleasantly
surprised when it worked!

I wanted to "turn off" the quick-start.. but was told by someone else on
the list that this was burnt into zope and couldn't be easily
changed. For a system that looks as easily configurable through the
mgmt screens as zope is.. that seems like an oversight).

But I now have my simple web app going (from start to finish, it took
me about a day -- and I didn't know Python or dtml -- in fact, even
now I don't think I grok all the complex semantics of dtml-var
expr="_.getitem(blah)" very well -- but I now have a web app which is
only 2K when exported, and appears reasonably fast for what it does).
I'm now trying to add sorting/searching, a guest-book like
functionality to some of the folders, and some user management to it.

One thing I've been curious about -- I note that several of the pages
have a way of limiting output to say 10 items.. and then provides the
option for the user to scroll thru the next ten in the next page etc.
Is there a simple example that illustrates "the zope way" to do this?

ps. Zope is simply put.. fun and quite unlike any other environment
I've experienced. The on-the-web development mode takes a while
getting used to .. (I'm an old emacs and various IDE kinda person --
and these days I spend a lot of time on VAJ), but it kinda grows on
you.

pps. One suggestion -- I wonder if anyone has written a frontpage or a
web-page like plugin that would appear as a separate tab while you
edit your dtml pages.. (i.e. a point-and-click interface rather than
having to type your dtml in, click "view" and iterating).

Thanks a bunch for a *GREAT* product.