[Zope] creating a file on a client

Tom Deprez tom.deprez@village.uunet.be
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:05:00 +0100

> Tom,
>
> There is a few options here. All of these are hacks, for security reasons
> outlined by others. Would it be an idea to give the file a costum
mime-type
> and assign that to a specific program?
> You don't say whether you (1) need the actual file on the client computer
or
> (2) could also start parsing the data in the actual application in which
you
> will use the file later on anyway
>
> Setting the mime type is done in the way Dieter Maurer exposed in an
earlier
> response:
>
> <dtml-call "RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Type','application/binary')">
>
> where application/binary has to be you custom type you have to invent
>
> if (2) you'll be set if you assign this mime type to the application in
the
> browser's preferences
> if (1) you will have to make a simple program (a simple (python)script
would
> be enough) that saves this to the filesystem to a location the program
knows
> about
>
> hth

mmmm. with (1), where does this python program has to reside? Can it be
placed in Zope (thus server) itself, or does it has to live on the client?

The file needs to be put on the client. I never thought on (2)... but this
would imply almost the same... then I've to create an application which will
intercept the mime-type, parses the data and sends the results in a file on
a directory in the client.

I can't change the program which uses the file, because it's from the
manufacturer of a system and I don't have the code of it.

Tom.