[Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #1270 - 14 msgs

Itai Tavor itai@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:52:39 +1100

Thank you, Brian.

Finally, after too many pointless discussions and a lot of wasted
time dealing with patches, we have a positive response from DC.

I wonder where you guys were last month when we had the same
discussion. Back then all we got from DC was a very loud silence. But
that's behind us now.

Annoyed no longer, Itai

Brian Lloyd wrote:

>  > In the last year I have seen many people complaining about this with DC
>>  doing anything about it.
>>  Makes you think!
>
>That's not quite true - there have been several discussions of
>this in the past, and we have not ignored it. There were (and
>still are - more below) concerns about namespace pollution and
>stomping on variables that people may have currently defined
>in applications. Some alternatives have been proposed, though
>so far none have been implemented:
>
>http://www.zope.org/Members/4am/DTMLWiki/NamedDTMLInLoop
>
>http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/DTMLExpressionSyntax
>

>>  DC are pretty skilled py-engineers. If they don't want to use
>>  sequence-item,
>>  then with what reason??
>>  So, DC, people what's so cool about sequence-item that you can't get with
>>  sequence_item?? What's the underlying reasoning here?
>
>Largely a concern that the DTML namespace is too much like the
>wild west already, and that the changed names could break apps
>that have already defined "sequence_item" or similar names,
>either for their own simplification or for totally other purposes.
>
>That said, I think that this has come up enough recently, clearly
>has support, and provides enough of a simplification win that it
>should go on the plan for Zope 2.4.
>
>For those wondering "why not 2.3.1?", 2.3.1 is a bug-fix release,
>and this will be a feature with a non-trivial documentation impact.
>For more info see the Zope release policy:
>
>http://dev.zope.org/Resources/ZopeReleasePolicy.html
>
>Putting it in the next feature release will allow us to make sure
>the documentation is updated accordingly, and give people who may
>be stepped on by the namespace change a chance to assess their apps
>before upgrading.
>
>People who need the change "Right Now" can continue to use the patch -
>in fact I'd encourage people to so we can shake out any problems. We
>should also make a project area on dev.zope.org so that we can have
>a common area to plan what still needs to be done (it sounds like the
>patch is close, but not 100%) and what collateral activities need to
>be done (what documentation artifacts need to be updated, etc.)
>
>The 2.4 release will be largely about getting Zope on Python 2.1 and
>I am intentionally keeping the 2.4 plan relatively small so that we
>can get it out in Q2. I've added the DTML namespace changes to the
>plan at:
>
>http://dev.zope.org/Resources/zope_240_plan.html
>
>I'll need one person to volunteer to be the point man on this, to
>coordinate with me on integration and keep the project area up
>to date.
>

>Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
>Software Engineer  540.371.6909
>Digital Creations  www.digicool.com
Itai Tavor                      -- "Je sautille, donc je suis."    --
itai@optusnet.com.au            --               - Kermit the Frog --
-- "If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything"      --