[Zope] newbie: publishing/product relationship?

Peter J. MASON peter.mason@retriever.com.au
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:28:16 +1100

Following one of the howto's (September Update 2000 update of the Python
Product ...", I've created an object which I think is "publishable". The
article says it is but doesn't say how to do so (ie publish it). Instead
it goes on to explain how you turn it into a "product", so to be managed
by the Zope management interface.

It seems that a "product" allows you to define a generic such product
which the management interface allows others to create instances of. The
example has one entering id, title, questions, etc. Is this a fair
statement? In my case I don't want that property since the only
instances I wish to admit will be ones defined in a (private) database.
If you like, I'm seeking an RPC mechanism and wish to invoke methods on
such instances only. Is "creating a product" what I really want to do,
or can I stop short at at "publishing"? In the publish only case, what
form of URL would people use to get at those methods? Admittedly one
method will be a "create/add" but that is to create another entry in my
private, non-Zope "database".

Perhaps an [substitute favourite commercial database]-SQL type example
might be similar if there is an example to refer to?

--
Peter J. MASON, Principal Software Engineer
Retriever Communications Pty Ltd