How slow should dtml-var be? (was: RE: [Zope] Problems with *BIG*SQL queries)

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:09:46 +0000

On 23/3/01 2:40 pm, "Matthew T. Kromer" <matt@digicool.com> wrote:

> Phil, one thing I'd recommend is consider using an external
> method to create your report; you might be pleasantly surprised.
>
> This means, instead of
>
>    <dtml-in QUERY>
>         <dtml-var ...> (etc)
>    </dtml-in>
>
> You do a <dtml-var expr="myExMeth(REQUEST, QUERY)">
>
> And your external method gets the REQUEST and QUERY objects to
> do its thing, format the results, and return it as one big item.
>
> It might *significantly* cut down on your time, since what's
> killing you is <dtml-var> * 38300.

This is very interesting. Do any DC gurus have anything to say on this?

I also agree that offloading things like summations onto your SQL database
is a *good thing*.

Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140