[Zope] How best to "filter" all HTML output?

Kyler B. Laird laird@ecn.purdue.edu
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:32:28 -0500

I would like to use a common filter for the HTML
output of any object in a folder.  I want users to
upload whatever HTML they want (from whatever
horrible HTML generator) but then I want to be
able to modify the HTML that results from that
object.

As a simple example, I want to be able to replace
whatever is in "<title>" with the title of the
object.  I don't want the user to have to think
about this; it should just happen any time an
object generates HTML.  (I realize that templates
will eventually do something similar, but it will
require that the user invoke the functionality.)

I've thought of some ways to do this poorly.  It
will be such a big part of what we're doing
however, that it is worthwhile for me to find an
elegant solution.  (I've done similar things in
Apache over the years, but Zope has the potential
to do it *much* better.)

BTW, this functionality is sometimes used by
providers wanting to force advertisements on
their users' pages.  That's not what I'm doing,
but it is similar.  (I seek to provide consistent
navigation tools.)

When I look at "Folder w/Customizer Support" I
feel like I'm probably staring at the answer, but
I'm not getting far in understanding it.  I'd
like to know if that's the right direction.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

--kyler