[Zope] integration w/ Lotus Notes

Simon Coles simon@nipltd.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:24:58 +0100

On 27/3/01 3:03 pm, "Sundar Narasimhan" <sundar@ascent.com> wrote:
> Actually, I'm trying to see if I can avoid Domino altogether! :)
> (i.e. is there a way I can create a session, connect to a Notes
> database, and read/write stuff from it?)

Don't know. Depending on your platform and the data types, you may be able
to use ODBC and NotesSQL. You may also be able to use Zclient and do an http
request to Domino.

We've done things like:
    - use Notes Agents to put stuff into SQL, and Zope serves out of
      the SQL database
    - get the Notes data represented as XML and pump that into Zope
      (to be stored in the ZODB or SQL)
    - have a Zope page either link to or have in a frame the Domino
      content

For example, the current http://zope.nipltd.com is Zope for most of it
except anything under /public, which Apache directs to Domino.

Don't forget about Domino the Client Access License. You have to have
per-client or a server CAL if people are getting data out of the Domino
server, even if the authentication and user accounts are done in Zope. So if
your system uses Zope to retrieve data out of Domino, and people log in to
your Zope site, get your wallet out.

As well as general robustness, the Domino CAL mess is why we prefer to pump
data back and forth rather than do live links between Domino and Zope.

> I presume from your reply that the answer is "yes, of course". I'll go
> read the "connecting a zope app. to Lotus Notes" -- I searched for
> "Lotus Notes" on the zope.org site and didn't find anything
> relevant.. do you know where this document might be?

No, sorry.

Simon

--
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------