DTML documents killing Zope (was RE: [Zope] ZServer dying)

Mayers, Philip J p.mayers@ic.ac.uk
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:54:33 +0100

Ok, I've narrowed down what is killing my Zope using the following script:

import threading
import httplib
import sys
from base64 import encodestring
import string
import time

def getfunc(server,url,user=None,pw=None):
        h = httplib.HTTP(server)
        h.putrequest("GET",url)
        if user and pw:
                try:
                        password = encodestring("%s:%s" % (user,pw))
                        password = string.replace(password,"\012","")
                        h.putheader("AUTHORIZATION","Basic %s" % password)
                except:
                        pass
        h.endheaders()
        errcode,errmsg,headers = h.getreply()
        if errcode != 200:
                print "failed: %s" % (errmsg,)
        print "Done thread at %s" % (time.time(),)

threads = []
num_threads = 10
try:
        num_threads = string.atoi(sys.argv[5])
except:
        pass

for i in range(1,num_threads):
        t = threading.Thread(None,getfunc,None,tuple(sys.argv[1:5]),{})
        threads.append(t)
        t.start()
for t in threads:
        t.join()
        print "%s joined at %s" % (t.getName(),time.time())

Fun for all the benchmarking family. I can do this:

  python floodget.py hostname:8080 /path/to/page username password 1000

And it works. However,

  python floodget.py hostname:8080 '/path/to/page?arg1=a&arg2=b' username
password 1000

Fails very quickly. Now, the page in question is a PythonScript (hmm...) and
the code that is executed when the arguments are passed renders a DTML
comment using:

  print
container.folder.dtml_method(context,context,REQUEST,key1=arg1,key2=arg2)

And so on... If I comment out the above line, *it all works under load* -
that is to say, it's apparently the rendering of the DTML document that is
killing things... In fact, I just did some more diagnosis. It's only when I
pass a lot of keyword arguments - I'm working on the threshold that triggers
it now... This is all very unfortunate.

So - to summarise:

I have a PythonScript (called as a Web page) which renders the HTML by
calling external DTML documents, and supplies form field variables as 10
keyword arguments. This seems to crash Zope if called under load. If I don't
supply the keyword arguments (and of course, the field isn't filled in) then
everything is OK.

Weird huh? I can repro this reliably - how can I debug and diagnose it?
Sven, does this fit your experience?

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers, Network Support     |