[Zope] parsing xml files

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Wed, 02 May 2001 13:22:03 +0200

Hi Sven,

--On Mittwoch, 2. Mai 2001 04:06 +0200 Sven Fischer
<sven.fischer@gargl.net> wrote:

> hello,
>
> i have an xml file being uploaded with a PUT into some folder and i would
> like to know whether it's best to :
>
> a] parse it using xml2zope or xmldocument for example and built a dtml
> tree of the doc (seems unmanageable if there are *lots* of docuemnts)

Probably the best solution IMHO. I dont see where it becomes
unmanageable. There might be a performance-issue, if the docs
are really large.

> b] store the xml files somewhere and use an external method to parse them
> on the fly (would be cool if it could be called from dtml)

I dont see why this would be better then (a). You additionally
loose the capabilities of the ZODB (transaction, easy object
reference, versioning)
If you expect moderate change rates on the documents you probably
dont want to abandon the transaction feature.