[Zope] Zope IOError messages (FOUND TEST CASE)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 2 May 2001 19:43:44 +0200 (CEST)

=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me=20Loisel?= writes:
 > .... strange IOError problems ....
 > To manually restart Zope, I do the following: I open a shell, su, run the
 > stop script, run the start script, check that everything works and exit my
 > shell. You supposed that maybe stderr disappears somehow, causing my
 > IOErrors... Would closing my shell not make stderr disappear?
Closing the shell will close "stderr" unless you have taken
precaution.

The easiest way is to use "nohup" to start your process.
"nohup" will redirect "stdin" (to "/dev/null") and "stdout/stderr"
to "nohup.out" (unless a different destination is specified)
and make the process immune against "SIGHUP" signals
(usually send when the control terminal is withdrawn).

 > If so, maybe this should be considered a bug in the default setup of the
 > start script? The start script should start a fully functional Zope, even if
 > the shell il later closed. In my opinion, at least. :-)
I do not think so.
You have to choose:

  either output to terminal (the default with the "-d"
  (debug) option and without "STUPID_LOG_FILE") and get
  problems when the OS (not Zope) makes the terminal unavailable.

  or has logging infos in a file (without "-d" or with "STUPID_LOG_FILE").

However, this choice may need to be stressed stronger in the
documentation.

Dieter