[Zope] Announce - Audio Product

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 20:26:37 -0700

> > Memory is not an issue, believe me, I have several gigs of that
> > untouched yet. yet it still takes an unacceptable
> > amountof time to strart up.
>
> Several gigs of RAM?  Cool!  Maybe someone from DC can detail what goes on
> at startup that might take alot of time.

When you start a ZODB up, an index is built of every object inside the ZODB
so it that can call it again later, effectively it reads through the entire
DB. This also removes any corrupted or broken objects on the ZODB. This is
directly related then to the number of objects and hence size. When this
starts getting signifcant depends on many factors.

Ive had 1 gig db's and found them a pain to work with from this point of
view. But Ive never had a corrupted database I couldnt get into. That is
good.

Shane Hathaways Refresh product really helped there though :)

Cheers.
--
  Andy McKay.