[Zope] question about multiple search criteria

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 7 May 2001 20:04:30 +0200 (CEST)

Junk writes:
 > i have this database wich i want to sort by multiple criteria (12 criteria)
 > so i would have to search a zcatalog with those and i heard that quite a lot
 > of people don't trust the zcatalog and it just doesn't seem to be *right*.
 >
 > is it cleaner to do it in some sort of relational database and make sql
 > queries on it ?
A relational database gives you SQL.

  For atomic field values, SQL is much more powerful than
  the current ZCQI (Zope Catalog Query Interface).
  You can combine queries over different tables, combine
  subqueries with and/or/not almost arbitrary, have
  lots of functions to be used for the query results
  or in the where clause.

However, many relational databases do not support efficient
text searches. Then, I would look for ZCatalog (if I do not
get too many objects (10.000 to 100.000), or for a database
system with text query support.

Dieter