[Zope] help! too many open files (zope-2.3.1)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 7 May 2001 20:16:00 +0200 (CEST)

Bak @ kedai writes:
 > i've been running zope-2.3.1 for quite some time now.  everything went well.
 > but
 > the isp had a power failure today.  and after that i kept getting too many
 > open files, esp with access of mailhost, localfs, etc.
 >
 > i've increased the file-max in /proc/sys/fs/file-max.  ulimit -a tells me
 > that i can only have 1024 file open.
 >
 > if i restart zope, everything's ok.  but the problem will appear again
 >
 > is this the problem?
Apparently, something leaks file descriptors.
You must find the leak:

  "lsof" seems to be a magic wand to analyse file descriptor
  problems. I did not use it myself, as it requires
  root privileges.
  But maybe, it can help you.

I (without "lsof") would use "netstat" to determine
whether sockets are leaked or files.
For sockets, it is possible to determine the peers
and get a feeling, what use makes problems.
For files, I would use "fuser" (the weaker brother of
"lsof") to find out which files are unexpectedly open
or open by two many processes.
As soon as the file is located, it would probably be clear,
where to find the problem.

Dieter