[Zope] ZEO-based Linda?

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
11 May 2001 23:42:59 +0200

Before I spend a lot of time researching this, I just want to ask the
community whether this would be possible:

I like Linda tuplespaces a lot, especially when they're distributed and
persistent. What I was thinking was that I could use ZEO (with a dbm
storage) for this: the "out" operation would just write the tuple to the
storage, while "in" and "rd" would try to grab a tuple, but if no matching
tuples would be found the thread would be put on hold, and a special dummy
Connection would listen to the invalidate messages back from ZEO (idea:
subclass Connection, override invalidate()), trying to match the requests
again on every promising ZEO update (for some value of promising). What to do
with "eval" is something different, but I could envision some load-balancing
scheduler here...

Would this (ab)use of ZEO work? Any suggestions?