[Zope] [ANN] ZShell 0.9

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Wed, 16 May 2001 14:09:11 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Jerome Alet wrote:
> > I'm pleased to announce you the very latest ZShell version: 0.9
>
> I hate to bring it up, but after reading the comments on jaxml page
> it seems that using it forces whole Zope to use GPL ;(

Of course that's not my intentions, see below.

> I'm sure this is not the intention but some sort of explanation could
> clarify it .

Here are my views, which may be (read: are) different from that of the
Free Software Foundation:

	My own code is GPLed, so if you plan to use it in your own code,
then your code must be GPLed too, that's the GPL, and everyone either have
to agree or not use the code.

	However I don't consider installing my code inside a Zope
installation is using it from your own code, or from Zope's code, so both
your code and Zope's one retain their existing license: You install my
GPLed external method inside Zope and use it from its "Test" tab, it's OK
for me, and IMHO you're OK with regard to the GPL because I consider it
just like if you run a GPLed program under a "proprietary" operating
system:  it's perfectly allowed since the GPL doesn't restrict the running
of the code in any way, provided you distribute MY software with all its
sources and the attached COPYING file.

	The second reason why Zope should'nt fall under the GPL when you
use this software is because Zope itself doesn't need any line of my code
to run, yet ;-)

	But if in your own code, or in Zope's core (dream, dream, dream),
you put something like:

	<dtml-var "zshell(...)">

	then you're using my GPLed code in your own code, so your code
falls under the GPL.

I suspect the FSF disagrees entirely with my opinion, and IMHO this is a
complete misunderstanding of what Zope is, but I decide how it applies
since I've written this code.

> BTW, is this the reason why calling the method is "DISABLED UNTIL
> FURTHER INVESTIGATION" ?

Ho, no ! I'm sorry but not being a native english speaker may cause
problems when you try to write english and be understood. I'm really
sorry.

What is disabled is calling the zshell method from another method, like:

	<dtml-var "zshell(zshellscript=....)">

but it's only because of a bug: the code is commented out at the end of
zshell.py because it seems it caused many users problems when running
zshell: it didn't work at all. I haven't experienced any such problem
myself, but under popular pressions I've disabled this code just, with #
signs ;-) If you plan to uncomment it and send a patch you're perfectly
welcome.

Again, I'm so sorry about all this confusion, and I'll include this text
in the next release in order to clarify my views and intentions once and
for all.

bye,

Jerome Alet