[Zope] Setting a Cookie

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 16:24:12 -0700

The first parameter is "self", which is implicit during the
call (you could say it's explicit because it's a method
call). So if it looks like you're passing three arguments
to a method call, it's actually getting four.

Not a cookie expert, but I found an earlier message about
cookies this week with the example:
<dtml-call "RESPONSE.setCookie('voted_in_poll', '1')">

FWIW

On 5/18/01 at 3:12 PM Tommy Johnson wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I'm trying to set a cookie. Simple right? hehe - if so,
then I wouldn't
>be here.  ;-)
>
>Ok, I have the syntax in front of me. I have this bit of
code to set
>the cookie:
>
><dtml-call "RESPONSE.setCookie('CookieMonster',
'458468')">

>All is well when I save the dtml document and when I run
the page. The
>problem - the cookie isn't set!
>
>Now I remember this problem when I worked with ASP. It
turns out that
>you had to set an expire date also (although they said
that if you
>didn't, the cookie expires when you close the browser and
nothing gets
>written to the client machine.) That would be good - IF
ONLY I COULD
>ACCESS THE INFORMATION I SET.
>
>Sorry 'bout that. But it's fustrating to see this problem
come up again
>with another language.
>
>So I set an expire date. But, get this, now it fails when
the page is
>loaded. The error message says that the method expected
three
>parameters, but received four. Do you see four parameters
here?

><dtml-call "RESPONSE.setCookie('CookieMonster', '458468',
'Sunday 20-05-
>2001 12:00:00 GMT')">
>
>I initially had a comma between Wdy, Date - because that
is the
>DOCUMENTED syntax, but this seems incorrect also.
>
>Here's the error message:
>
>Error Type: TypeError
>Error Value: too many arguments; expected 3, got 4
>
>Any suggestions? Proven code would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Tommy

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" &
"Thinking in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any
email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar