[Zope] Postgres adapters

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 12:53:44 -0400

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 04:10:04PM +0200, Paul Zwarts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone comment on past experiences with various postgres adapters? I am
> using the latest PoPy (201) and have just recently noticed psychopg. Is it
> better, faster, more reliable or any of the above?
>
> Paz

Right now, psyco is more featureful.  It will probably remain so.
I don't think that speed is a problem with either.  pysco is somewhat
easier to install, since PoPy consists of two parts, a long running
daemon, and an adapter that talks to the daemon.  psyco had a problem
with leaks for a while, but I think that has been completely resolved.

Both continue to be under development; pysco seems more aggresive right now.
I am still running PoPy, as, for what I am doing, I don't see any strong
benefits from the psyco approach.

But, YMMV, and I believe that it is fairly trivial to set BOTH up on
your system and see which you prefer.  (I strongly urge you to do this,
especially if you do not have a lot of code.  The earlier you can decide
which is better for you, the easier it will be;  connection strings
are a pain to find and change.)

pysco has current postgres 7.1 support.  PoPy is hoping to have support
for 7.1 by the end of the month.

Jim Penny
(current PoPy debian maintainer, who tries very hard to have an open mind)