[Zope] Prerequisites for a desktop IDE, or any desktop app w/ Zope

Albert Langer Albert.Langer@Directory-Designs.org
Tue, 22 May 2001 10:08:07 +1000

1. There's a python UML project at sourceforge, which currently doesn't seem
to have anything in it - but the author should be contacted re this
discussion.

2. ArgoUML has open source java which takes care of all the diagram side and
is designed to plug into all sorts of stuff. Uses XMI as internal model, not
just for export import. There's also a Corba API in the UML standard so it
should be feasible to call backwards and forwards to python via Corba
(or adapt it to XPCOM). Also of course there's JPE (assuming Jython
inapplicable for Zope).

3. Transwarp creates "structural models" from XMI of UML diagrams
and will soon do reverse.

4. Python itself pretty much *is* a Meta-Object Protocol.

...isomorphic UML visualization of "live" Python objects is doable!

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of
sean.upton@uniontrib.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 9:52 AM
To: michel@digicool.com; sean.upton@uniontrib.com
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: RE: [Zope] Prerequisites for a desktop IDE, or any desktop app
w/ Zope

I agree on the 'view' concept for classes versus the traditional UML / IDE
integration concepts...

Implementing a ZEO client core for a front-end GUI toolkit does make more
sense; it would perform better, have full access to the server, and still be
relatively x-platform (Win/Unix/MacOSX).  I still have some questions:

- Wouldn't there be an advantage to having software products be installed on
the server (instead of a really FAT client)?
- By going the ZEO client route, don't you lose a lot of the things you
would get with Zope like the security model?  Or would this be different?
- The level of complexity there to develop such a thing grows quite a bit,
though, especially for those of us who remain ignorant (and perhaps a bit
fearful ;) ) of what is really running underneath the hood when it comes to
the ODB and ZEO... XMLRPC has both the advantage and disadvantage of
simplicity, for whatever that is worth...

Sean