[Zope] Groove and ZEO

Nitin Borwankar nitin@borwankar.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 10:16:48 -0700

Alastair Burt wrote:

> Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> writes:
>
> > A couple of us here at NIP are playing around with building a fat client for
> > Zope
>
> What is a fat client?
>
> On a related note (I think?), how hard would it be to build a Groove-like
> system with ZEO?  I have never used Groove, but it sounds like a useful
> groupware tool for everyman.  If the basis of Groove is incremental
> synchronisation of shared databases, then ZEO seems to offer similar
> functionality,

Actually its a lot more than incremental synchronization of databases.
The key with Groove is that it is a client-centric peer-to-peer system.
The focus is on getting away from server centric systems and the ability
to form
spontaneous group shared spaces with different sets of people based on
shared work.
So going with ZEO seems like a step in the opposite direction,
philosophically
and from the point of view of functionality, since ZEO is a number of
*servers* working together
rather than a number of clients i.e. it's "server++" not "client++" as
in Groove.

Nitin Borwankar,
President and CEO,
Borwankar Research inc.