[Zope] Vote for Windowing Toolkit to use for Fat Client

Tue, 22 May 2001 13:14:30 -0700

I think this has been tried with Zope studio, which was abandoned.  I am
going to guess that this was too complicated.  wxWindows/wxPython is like=
ly
a better solution because it is likely to be a lighter-weight toolkit in
terms of development complexity...

Just a friendly reminder to fellow list members - in the spirit of
x-platformness, make sure that you send plain-text e-mail to the list ;)

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Menard.Jean-Francois@hydro.qc.ca
[mailto:Menard.Jean-Francois@hydro.qc.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 12:32 PM
To: jeff@janix.com; zope@zope.org
Subject: RE: [Zope] Vote for Windowing Toolkit to use for Fat Client

What about Mozilla?  It's cross-platform, work with Mac, Win and Unixes..=
.=20

-----Message d'origine-----=20
De : Jeff Sasmor [mailto:jeff@janix.com]=20
Envoy=E9 : 22 mai, 2001 12:54=20
=C0 : zope@zope.org=20
Objet : [Zope] Vote for Windowing Toolkit to use for Fat Client=20

Chris,=20
If you are going to use wxPython, check out wxDesigner.=20
(http://www.roebling.de).  It's not free and it's not=20
Open Source, but it's only $US89 and it can=20
act as a decent RAD tool.  It can build a lot=20
of your app's GUI framework.=20
I have not used wxDesigner a lot yet, but I bought the=20
BlackAdder personal use (beta) package. Largely a=20
waste of money. It's debugger is nearly useless and BA=20
crashes constantly.  It's aspect as an extension of=20
QT designer is interesting, and it bears watching to=20
see if it improves when they bring out the real thing.=20
Wing IDE is nice for debugging.  Wing comes with=20
source, it's just not Open Source.=20
I think a combo of wxDesigner and Wing would=20
be nice (and it's what I am planning to use=20
myself till something better comes along.)=20

Jeff Sasmor=20
jeff@sasmor.com=20
Check out http://www.naggle.com/=20
Check out Blark for the Zope CMF at http://www.yellowbrain.com=20