[Zope] Choosing between ZODB and relational database/filesystem storage

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:47:28 +0100

* Timothy Wilson <wilson@visi.com> [010523 03:49]:
> On Tue, 22 May 2001, Sean Kelley wrote:
>
> > How do you know when to go with a relational database such as Mysql and
> > when zope is ok for data storage?
>
> Check out http://www.zope.org/Members/anthony/sql_vs_ZODB

I'd add that IMO you need a very good reason *not* to use the ZODB.  I
think I might start a Use ZODB campaign, in fact :)

It's fast, it's stable, and it's *convenient*.  Why bother with ZSQL
and the administrative overheads of running an extra server when you
can keep all your application needs in a single problem space?  The
only needs for using a RDBMS are:

 - _massive_ indexing requirements
 - when you want external access to data (e.g. ldap user database)

seb.