[Zope] Using Zope for Document Collaboration

Mark Langkau mark.langkau@pbmplus.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 12:32:08 -0500

Hi,

Forgive me if this isn't the correct list for this question. I need some
design help - and suggestions of tools to use would be great. I'll take
further discussions of "design" issues off line, and stick to specific
Zope/tool questions here.

Quick Summary:

I need to take an incoming MS-Word file and break it up into sections,
and post them on our Zope intranet for various employees to edit and
contribute to. When completed, the sections need to be rolled back up
into a single file that can be converted back to MS-Word. Users will not
have access to the Zope Management Interface.

Details:

We have several people in multiple locations that need to edit different
parts of the same document - anytime - online. My first thought is
ZWiki, but I'm not sure if other options (if any) are better. (I'm a
wiki newbie).

We get several Request For Proposal (RFP) docs that require several
departments to contribute information and answer questions. I'd like to
convert the client's original file (MS-Word) into something that Zope
can publish and allow edits. The users in our departments will not have
access to the Zope Management Interface, and the goal is to use just a
browser to call up an RFP and answer questions in sections pertaining to
their own department. Anyone working on the RFP can see the entire
document (no dept. restrictions).

The final format back to the client is usually very specific, and again
in MS-Word format, so I'm not looking to produce a "final" presentation
document directly from the Zope site. However, we will need to "roll-up"
all of the parts of the RFP back into a single doc for manual
reformatting as required by the client.

If I save the Word doc into html format, can I convert that to
Structured Text and paste that into Wiki pages? Does anyone have a
script that could automate this - breaking sections (based on html
heading tags perhaps) into separate wiki pages? (Or even just to convert
html to stx?) I'm thinking that breaking the RFP up into separate pages
may minimize the chance for 2 people to save changes to the same page at
the same time - or lock one page and not save all day, etc. (It'll still
happen, but perhaps not as often ;-)

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks,
Mark