[Zope] [FEATURE REQUEST] comment at the top of DTML Methods and Documents

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 23:11:10 -0400

> From: "Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com>
>
> Thre are some contexts where one might
> want ot store media fiesl in the ZODB up to cettain size or wher they are
> known to be static, while at a certain point they need to migrate to
> LocalFS, ExtFile/Image etc. Documents are the same.

I think this is heading in the wrong direction.... ZODB isn't magic, and
neither is Persistence, they're both controllable.  There was a discussion a
while back about 'fine grained pack' of the ZODB -- that would really be a
great feature, and it seems there's some work going on in that area.
Perhaps each object could have a pack(date) method.  But aside from that,
the only clear need I've seen for external storage is external (outside
zope) access, which is a requirement independent of size or number of
files...