[Zope] Re: ZEO Client space was:

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Fri, 25 May 2001 21:22:10 +0200

Hi,

--On Freitag, 25. Mai 2001 12:02 -0700 sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:

> Right: there is no box root exploit issue, but if the ODB has a method
> that connects to your RDB and flushes out a table, in a non-transactional
> rdb, you are screwed if someone can, from an arbitrary client do this
> sort of thing.
>
> Also, I would think that ZEO CS->ZSS type traffic would be best run on its
> own switched VLAN for security and performance reasons.

Vlans do not add considerable security. Since often the setup includes
a firewall, one cant use them anyway in these cases.

I think to solve the problem for arbitrary clients accessing ZODB
we need an additionally layer on top of the application logic
which can then be accessed via net using authorisation and such.
We need this layer anyway for better application abstraction.

But I fear this goes out of the scope of this thread.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain