[Zope] RE: Vote for Windowing Toolkit to use for Fat Client

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sat, 26 May 2001 00:13:02 -0400

> Onion other hand, I've heard tell that python using COM doesn't 'freeze'
> well on windows. So if you wanted to make a single executable out of it,
> it would be bad mojo.

Not sure why this would be so, beyond the regular requirements to check the
registry for COM controls etc. One would not be freeezing the COM stuff
obvisouly, merely the Python checking and wrapper code for using them. For
example, on windows it _is_ safe to assume that at a minimum IE is present.

The 'single simple .exe' is still one issue which Python needs to resolve
better.
Have you any experience doing this? I have only read about it -- tips
welcome.

I have a  number of applications on Win32 which use Python and include all
their own binaries. Most well known are probably Zope, and Blender
[http://www.blender.nl]. Both are very powerful applications, quick and easy
to install.  As  a regular use, it does not bother me at all that they waste
a little disk space to include an extra Python engine in there. But as a
developer, it is frustrating to have that replication, especially when I
want to mix in and/or match extra Python modules. Then the Python path on
Win32 can be a little confusing. Perhasp this is my lack of skill non
in23  - I don't know.

> Allegedly, for cross platform COM, there is good progress being made
> with PyXPCOM, but I have no personal experience to relate.

Have not looked into it. Sceptical I will live that long ;-) Is this part of
.NET ?

thanks
./jason