[Zope] how to install Sshell in Zope bindist

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Wed, 30 May 2001 21:06:14 +0200

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 07:11:13PM +0200, Andreas Wandel wrote:

> I guess, how to install the ZShell product into my Zope server.
>
> ZShell requires the 'Distutils' package to be installed as an addon to
> python. But the Distutils don't compile in the Zope/python bundle
> because of some missing files ('config' dir below
> /var/lib/zope/lib/python).
>
> Is there anyone out there, who can give me an 'bindist' of 'Distutils'
> which will work in the precompiled Zope 2.3.2 package?

The problem is not in ZShell, it's in the jaxml module which is needed by
ZShell.

The jaxml installation procedure uses the new Distutils standard Python
module for installation. Unfortunately Distutils is not part of Python 1.5.2
but is only available as an add-on. Python 1.5.2 is probably the version
which is embedded in your Zope version, since newer version are still
officially unsupported until Zope 2.4 is out

The simple solution is just to copy the jaxml.py file to the Zope embedded
Python site-packages directory on your hard disk, if it exists, or anywhere
else in your $PYTHONPATH

Then copy the zshell.py file to your zope's $INSTANCE_HOME/Extensions
directory on your hard disk, add this external method from the Zope's
management interface, click on its "Test" tab, that's it !

I've never installed a precompiled version of Zope, so I hope I didn't made
too much mistakes, however just copy the two python files where they need
to be copied, and this should work fine.

bye,

Jerome Alet
Download ZShell from: http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome/zshell/