[Zope] Re: Threading, dtml and performance?!

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 16:40:47 +0000

On 31/10/01 7:35 pm, "Dieter Maurer" <dieter@handshake.de> wrote:

> Tony McDonald writes:
>> For completeness, I tried the above as a python script on Solaris 8/Zope
>> 2.4.1/python 2.1 - I could set the script off, but then couldn't do anything
>> else on the server until the script had finished. But I think those requests
>> had got through to Zope, as when the sleep thread had finished, Zope carried
>> on with my other request. :(
> Strange...
>
> It would indicate a serious bug either Python or the Solaris thread
> library.

Indications seem to be pointing to a bug in the python implementation of
threads under solaris, but I'm really not qualified to say that's the case.

> Maybe, we should inform the Python experts and see whether they
> can shed some light into this...
>
> Unfortunately, the newsserver of my ISP is currently broken,
> such that I am unable to discuss this in c.l.p...
>

> Dieter

I set a thread off on c.l.p and got responses from Anthony Baxter (who said
he may be able to look at this quite soon, with a view to getting it into
python 2.1.2) and Tim Peters. Tim suggested some work with the python CVS,
but my CVS-Zen is pretty low.

My hope is that Anthony can get a 2.1.2 release out which I will install
*immediately* and report back to the list...

Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140