[Zope] Apache/Zope mass name based virtual hosting

Mark Langkau mark.langkau@pbmplus.com
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 08:30:24 -0600

Hi,

Can someone help with an Apache rewrite rule for using
VirtualHostMonster for mass virtual name based hosting? My corporate
intranet needs to have several development and testing areas. What I'd
like to do is have virtual hosts set up for each developer to experiment
with - on the fly.

The goal is not to change httpd.conf or restart Apache when a new vhost
is set up. Apache will not know specific host names in advance. This
will allow our developers to quickly put together proof-of-concept sites
and send easy to remember URLs to other internal testers without mucking
around with Apache configs or restarts.

I have seen examples of using VHM to map domains to folders inside Zope,
but I can't seem to understand how to send the correct info from Apache
to Zope. I'd like to use wildcards in Apache so that as long as a folder
exists in the right place (and with the right name) in Zope, the user
will get to the right area.

Example:

Assume our domain is example.com. Internal DNS will be set to send
*.test.example.com to 192.168.1.1 so all hosts matching that pattern go
to real host "test.example.com."  I would like "mark.test.example.com"
to map to "/site/mark" and "beta.test.example.com" map to "/site/beta"
inside Zope.

I'll post a "How-To" when I get this working if one doesn't exist
already.

Thanks!
Mark