[Zope] Installing ZPatterns

Ben Ocean zope@thewebsons.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:41:57 -0800

At 03:42 PM 11/12/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>         this one stung me too for a while but the Makefile.pre.in the
>instructions are refering to is the one which a full python install has
>in the /usr/lib/python/config/ directory which is used for building
>python modules and making sure they build correctly against python.
>
>So for a typical python2.1 installation you copy the
>/usr/lib/python2.1/config/Makefile.pre.in into the directory and
>continue following the instructions. I feel the instructions could be a
>little clearer (its not clear from the context that the Makefile comes
>with python).

Agreed. Once I've got this figured out I'll write the author. But check this:

[root@hermes ZPatterns]# cp /usr/lib/python2.1/config/Makefile.pre.in .
[root@hermes ZPatterns]# make -f Makefile.pre.in boot
rm -f *.o *~
rm -f *.a tags TAGS config.c Makefile.pre python sedscript
rm -f *.so *.sl so_locations
VERSION=`python -c "import sys; print sys.version[:3]"`; \
installdir=`python -c "import sys; print sys.prefix"`; \
exec_installdir=`python -c "import sys; print sys.exec_prefix"`; \
make -f ./Makefile.pre.in VPATH=. srcdir=. \
         VERSION=$VERSION \
         installdir=$installdir \
         exec_installdir=$exec_installdir \
         Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory
`/apache/ZopeInstallation/Zope_software_home/lib/python/Products/ZPatterns'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile',
needed by `sedscript'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/apache/ZopeInstallation/Zope_software_home/lib/python/Products/ZPatterns'
make: *** [boot] Error 2

So, how do I configure the target?
TIA,
BenO