[Zope] Editing ZClasses - Hole in Documentation

Ronald L. Chichester complaw@hal-pc.org
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 05:55:24 -0600

Okay, I just want to point out a "hole" in the documentation that is
consistent among the various "HOWTO's" and other documentation, such as
mukhsein's "Build a searchable Job Board."  They all provide a way to
create and add objects, but don't go that last mile and provide any
guidance on who to _edit_ the properties in a ZClass.  The problem with
ZClasses is that the properties have to be accessed through the
propertysheets.  That creates an extra hrutle for the developer in
creating a _complete_ system (which, of course, includes the ability to
edit what was created).

Some of us have products we would like to roll out that require that
users (including managers, owners, and yes, sometimes even anonymous (if
your organization can handle that)) to edit the ZClass instance once it
has been instantiated.  I'm still hunting for either documentation or an
example that has this capability.  In a few instances, I have seen
people say it is "trivial."  It may be, once you find out how.
Unfortunately, there is still some smoke and mirrors here.  The solution
isn't obvious to the casual developer.

If someone can prove me wrong, I would be thrilled to know about it.

Best,

Ron