[Zope] Zope as a service on NT

Meilicke, Scott scott.meilicke@intp.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:10:20 -0800

I'm not sure if it is a hack or not, but I run zope on two NT 4 boxes, and
one w2k box, and it behaves just the the rest of my services.  It stops and
starts with a shutdown and startup of the box.  I have never had to manually
stop or start outside of developmental efforts.

-Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Robinson [mailto:Jeffrey.Robinson@MCICoach.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 7:53 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Zope as a service on NT

Hi folks;

Currently we have Zope (2.4.2) running on a test Windows NT server as we
test different products for use as the framework for our corporate Intranet.

Zope is installed behind IIS using PCGI, but our admins have some concerns
about how Zope runs, and I cannot verify with my limited knowledge of the
product.

I know on NT there are two ways to run Zope, either as a "standard" program,
or as a service.  For our needs, I believed the service would be ideal; but
according to one of the admins when Zope is run as a service it is a "hack"
that launches the "standard" way of running Zope.

Personally, I had assumed that it was running in the background like any
other NT service (maybe simply because I never saw a console window).

The crux of the situation is (understandably) that the IT department does
not want to run anything that they manually have to restart.

Is there any definitive answer/description available about how Zope runs on
NT?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
Jeff Robinson
Graphic Designer
Motor Coach Industries