[Zope] updating excel as an odbc datasource

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:14:03 -0500

On Friday 16 November 2001 10:56 am, Meilicke, Scott allegedly wrote:
> I think I explained this incorrectly.
>
> I just want to display information from excel with zope.  I have no need to
> update the excel spreadsheet from zope.  The customer needs to be able to
> update the excel spreadsheet by opening the excel file with excel,
> modifying the contents, and save the contents back to the file.  Zope
> should then see these changes and display the web page appropriately.
>
> Based on the feedback so far, I have a few options:
>
> 1. Build it all in zope - more work, but may be worth it
> 2. Since it is zope that is doing the locking, have an access db that gets
> it's info from excel, and use the access db as the datasource feeding zope
> 3. Update everything manually, as the data change about once a week
>
> I'm currently using #3, and I will be pursuing #2 today.  The advantage of
> #1 is I can reuse the functionality across more applications, all user
> maintained - the best long term solution, as I understand the requirements.
>
> Thanks for everyone's feedback.
>
> Scott

It is not really Zope locking it, it is the ODBC driver. Perhaps there is a
setting or a newer version that does not lock. I know in Excel it is possible
to set up a file so that it can be shared. Perhaps you need to do this so
that editing can take place while Zope is reading the file.

hth,
  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org