[Zope] Caching... (and squid question added....)

Schmidt, Allen J. aschmidt@nv.cc.va.us
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:13:20 -0500

On your Linux boxes running Zope and Squid, do you have any issues with
users accessing your site with AOL dialup and the AOL browser? This question
goes out to anyone who cares to answer, also...

We are moving to a Zope on Linux with Squid setup within the week. Currently
on Windows 2000 and Zope 2.4 with a Windows version of Squid. The site moves
very fast in general but now AOL users are complaining of 5+ minutes load
times if it loads at all.

Has anyone come across this?

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Mario Valente [mailto:mvalente@ruido-visual.pt]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 4:42 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Caching...

At 21:06 20-11-2001 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
>Chris McDonough wrote:
>>
>> Usually, if you don't cache or serve only static content, you can't
>> running a high-volume site using Zope or mod_perl or ASP or
>> whatever-else; it's as simple as that.
>
>What about something like Google? How do they get around it?
>
>I'm sure caching isn't the only option...

  This discussion is so pointless...

  FYI Google has upwards of 10.000 (thats TEN THOUSAND) linux
 machines serving as frontends for their service. And although
 Google's pages are dynamic, they're basically the same script
 run over and over again with little or no images. So caching is not
 the only option; its just that I'm sure you dont have Google's budget.

  What you're trying to do is asking Zope to DYNAMICALLY generate
 Squishdot pages (probably full of database accesses and images). But
 you're doing this on a PC (no hardware specs were specified) running
 Windows (!) and on a DSL line.

  If you try to do something similar with ANY OTHER platform (lets say
 Apache+PHP+PHPNuke; or IIS+ASP+some forum software or other)
 you're also going to get into the same kind of problems.

  If you compound this with the fact that you're also clueless (e.g running
 Zope without knowing what -S is for; or, for that matter, running any
 software without knowing what you're doing), you're in for a lot of
trouble.
  Please, dont answer "I'm a writer, not a programmer". THAT is precisely
 your problem. You want to be able to build rockets without taking a course
 in rocket science. Dont misunderstand me; you can still fire rockets or
 build amateur rockets; just dont try to reach the moon.

  Here are some tips:

  - enable caching on Zope
  - change from Windows to Linux
  - install more RAM on your PC
  - get more CPU for your PC
  - put Squid in front of your Zope
  - fine tune your Zope to use only the necessary command line switches
  - pack your Zope database frequently
  - stop all the other software that you might have running (i.e. dedicated
server)
  - create static versions of the most accessed page(s)
  - you might have a memory leak somewhere; plug it

  We're running a consumer portal with about 1 million hits per day using
 2 frontends (regular PC machines) connected to 1 backend (server PC).

  C U!

  -- Mario Valente