-S option (was RE: [Zope] RE: Caching...)

Stuart Nicholson stuart.nicholson@wirelessdatanz.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:56:56 +1300

-S while running as a service under Windows (and probably as a daemon under Unix although I'm in Win32 land) seems to add a 'Restart' button to your Zope control panel. Thus
you can restart Zope from the management interface which is kinda handy, assuming Zope is still happy to present the management interface to you.

And you are quite correct this option doesn't appear to be documented anywhere.

Stuart Nicholson
Software Engineer
wirelessdata - making data fly

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Fraase [mailto:mfraase@farces.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 21 November 2001 4:20 p.m.
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] RE: Caching...

I wasn't going to respond to this, but I can't resist. Comments inline
below.

--
Michael Fraase
ARTS & FARCES LLC

Pointless to whom? I'm learning a good bit.

>   FYI Google has upwards of 10.000 (thats TEN THOUSAND) linux
>  machines serving as frontends for their service. And although
>  Google's pages are dynamic, they're basically the same script
>  run over and over again with little or no images. So caching is not
>  the only option; its just that I'm sure you dont have Google's
budget.

>   What you're trying to do is asking Zope to DYNAMICALLY generate
>  Squishdot pages (probably full of database accesses and images). But
>  you're doing this on a PC (no hardware specs were specified) running
>  Windows (!) and on a DSL line.

Hardware specs were most certainly provided (P3 850MHz 768MB RAM).

I hate to be put in the position of defending Microsoft, but the OS
didn't fall over. Neither did my DSL connection. Zope did.

As of about 8:00 PM CST today my site has served more than 120,000
pageviews. Not bad, and it's settled down now, but I was having to
restart Zope every hour or so for most of the day.

>   If you try to do something similar with ANY OTHER platform (lets say
>  Apache+PHP+PHPNuke; or IIS+ASP+some forum software or other)
>  you're also going to get into the same kind of problems.

Agreed. But I'm not sure the other options would fall over.

>   If you compound this with the fact that you're also clueless (e.g
running
>  Zope without knowing what -S is for; or, for that matter, running any

>  software without knowing what you're doing), you're in for a lot of
trouble.
>   Please, dont answer "I'm a writer, not a programmer". THAT is
precisely
>  your problem. You want to be able to build rockets without taking a
course
>  in rocket science. Dont misunderstand me; you can still fire rockets
or
>  build amateur rockets; just dont try to reach the moon.

First of all, I never claimed to be cluefull. That's why I came here and
asked the question. But neither am I clueless. The -S switch has been
bothering me for a while. Do a search on zope.org for "command line
switches" nothing. Nothing in any of the Zope documentation that I can
find. Nor in any of the three Zope books currently in print. Even the
Windows-specific doc doesn't say anything about the -S switch.

Being a writer/information architect isn't my problem. Nor is it
relevant to this issue. Get used to it; we're here and we need your
help. But you need our help just as much.

And to use your metaphor, I have no interest in building rockets, only
flying them. Better get used to that too; there are a lot more of us
than there are of you.

>   Here are some tips:
>
>   - enable caching on Zope

Done and already cited.

>   - change from Windows to Linux

Maybe, but again, Windows didn't fall over--Zope did.

>   - install more RAM on your PC

768Mb is the maximum I can install in what I've got. Should be adequate.
There's no evidence of not having enough memory caused Zope to fail.

>   - get more CPU for your PC

Again, there's no evidence that lack of CPU horsepower caused Zope to
fail.

>   - put Squid in front of your Zope

Excellent advice for Linux users.

>   - fine tune your Zope to use only the necessary command line
switches

So what's -S for? As stated in a previous message the only other
switches I'm using set the web port and the WebDAV port.

>   - pack your Zope database frequently

I do. At least weekly, sometimes daily, today it was every few hours.

>   - stop all the other software that you might have running (i.e.
dedicated
> server)

Zope's all that's really running.

>   - create static versions of the most accessed page(s)

That's a good idea.