[Zope] RE: Caching...

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:59:54 -0800

I am certainly not a windows defender, but to be fair, a lot of folks have
had a relative degree of success running the windows port of Squid, which is
a multi-threaded app.  That said, I personally wouldn't put Zope-on-windows
in a production environment without something in front of it.  Perhaps
Michael's most pragmatic solution would be to change his setup, not his
platform.  And I think that in this setup you should be willing to
preemptively restart Zope on a scheduled basis to deal with memory leaks.

Or better yet, if heavy traffic causes memory leaks, it would be nice is if
Zope could be restarted by an external process if its memory footprint got
too big, past a set max; on Unix there are always tools like mon to do this,
but I'm not sure what tools might be available for Windows.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Mario Valente [mailto:mvalente@ruido-visual.pt]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 9:35 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] RE: Caching...

At 21:20 20-11-2001 -0600, Michael Fraase wrote:
>>   - change from Windows to Linux
>
>Maybe, but again, Windows didn't fall over--Zope did.
>

>I hate to be put in the position of defending Microsoft, but the OS
>didn't fall over. Neither did my DSL connection. Zope did.

  "No judge sir, I'm sorry, I'm not guilty of killing that guy. My
  gun did. I was just holding it".

  Nice excuse. So Windows has shitty memory management,
 stupid or inexistent threads. Zope depends on both to run
 nicely. Zope crashes because it requests heavy kung fu from
 the OS and the OS is unable to handle it and simply replies "get
 a life". And you're defending the OS ? :-)

  Hey, you're the one with the problem :-) We also had our consumer
 portal running on Windows NT machines (remember, we have upwards
 of 1 million hits per day) and were rebooting the machines daily. Guess
 what happened when we changed to Linux, with no changes in the
 code ? Yep, we normally have at least 1 week of Zope uptime, getting to
 2 weeks at times.

>>   - put Squid in front of your Zope
>
>Excellent advice for Linux users.

  No. Like someone already said, you have Squid for windows too.

  C U!

  -- Mario Valente