[Zope] Re: Line Wrap and the Zope Community?

Mike Renfro renfro@tntech.edu
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:55:29 -0600

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 09:12:54AM -0800, Ron wrote:

> A word wrap (or any display) problem is ONLY the fault of the
> SOFTWARE UNLESS the page designer takes EXTRA-ORDINARY steps to
> BREAK (what should be) THE SOFTWARE'S PRIMARY FUNCTION - Visual
> Alacrity!

I won't speak to any other design/layout issues with Zope, as I'm not
an expert in that area. But the word wrap thing has bitten me before,
and I'm not sure if there's an easy general solution to it. Ron and
any others are certainly welcome to find one.

First off, I admit I have a culprit page
(http://www.zope.org/Members/mwr/VHosts_With_Zope_Default). Several
things combine together to make one of my code lines overlong:

1. It's an incredibly long line of code, largely dominated by a single
"word" that can't be broken up into spaces.

2. Due to structured text rules, I had to place a few extra spaces at
the beginning of each line of code.

Point 1 is far more the cause of my extra-wide page than point 2. Even
if I could remove all the whitespace from the beginning of the code
lines, I'd still have scrolling.

Now, some of the issues with structured text are being addressed
(http://structuredtext.sourceforge.net/), but for our immediate
crisis, who wants to come up with a solution that will:

a) keep my code intact -- no extra line breaks, spaces, etc. unless I
say so.  No removals, either. If I print out a snippet of Python code
that's been mis-indented because someone wanted a narrower page, I'll
be irked.

b) not do horizontal scrolling on most/all monitors

c) keep a readable font size on most/all monitors

etc. Let's hear some viable solutions now.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu