[Zope] Re: Line Wrap and the Zope Community?

Oliver Bleutgen Oliver Bleutgen <myzope@gmx.net>
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 19:58:42 +0100

> Simon Michael wrote:

>[...]

> 2. Not to mention VISUAL ALACRITY! Where's the color, the captivating
> use of fonts, eye catching graphic highlights, nicely styled paragraphs,
> hypertext references, perhaps even an animated image or two?... Right,
> right... it's 1.1 CMF... as if THAT'S AN EXCUSE?

> And get this... THIS IS CLASSIC... Scroll down to Table 05.01 for a
> demonstration on just what it takes to modify a CMF color... Need I say
> more?

> If it were 1995 I would expect this, but the world has moved on.

> What... it's the author's responsibility? Go start MS Word, load any one
> of their templates, type "I am just a data source" and press PRINT! Does
> this exercise light any bulbs???

> If _I_ wrote Zope... I would be sending the above author MY APOLOGIES
> for what I've done to their work - how many of YOU reading this page
> would feel either PRIDE in the presentation or would be willing to BLAME
> ITS AUTHOR!?!

> This was sent to me privately: "the issue you are talking about has
> _nothing_ to do with zope".

> What? Nothing to do with Zope? My apologies then... Let's just blame the
> user, the author, very convenient, very helpful, and very bound to
> improve Zope as a Web Publishing Platform.

Did I send this above sentence privately? Sorry, it should go to the list.
Again, this has really really nothing to do with zope.
The culprit on the above page are long sentences in a <pre> tag:

PRE>Line 9 =96 The form action has to be changed to cv_metadata_edit to ca=
ll the correct DTML Method.
Line 18 =96 The link to the full metadata edit form has to be modified for=
 the new DTML Method full_cv_metadata_edit_form.=20
Line 32 =96 The Description field is now called Introductory Self-Descript=
ion
</PRE>

See what I mean? I can do that in plain html, perl, php, BEA weblogic,
Domino, whatever. Yes, you are right that the html on that page is
not perfect, but to change that one would not patch zope.

html specs change, browser implementations change, people want to=20
use zope to serve xml/wap etc..

Repeat with me:
We don't want an application/content server that prevents us from writing
stupid (wrong) html (or structured text, in that case).

If I want to do an unwrappable line which is 5000 chars long,=20
zope better gets out of my way.

You could as well blame http or the tcp/ip-protocol for the look of that
page.=20

I have the feeling that you don't really see what zope is about. I would
not call it content management server or web publishing server in
a strict sense. It's more like a plattform which enables people to
build such a server - tailored to ones needs.

Again, this belongs to zope-web, and I guess when you make a nice
cmf skin for the coming zope-server it might be considered to=20
use that as an option.

cheers,
oliver