[Zope] referencing an object elsewhere in the tree

sirius legend nu@goa.hu
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:56:55 -0800

Hello,

I'm new to zope, and find it the best web application environment ;)

Have a little problem... Browsed thru the docs and mailing lists, but
can't find any information on how can i refer to objects that are not in the
acquistion path.

For example i build simple a shop, and have all shopping cart related
dtml methods in /cart folder. In the cart's list method i'd like to include
the icon, and other details can be found for example at
/products/accessories/wallet/. Is there any way to do this?

Now I store string object id's in cart's session variables like
'/products/bags/djbag'. It's the cart item's original path.
I think I should be able to resolve the object from this id, but how?

There are also relations between products, like a products can
be made from a list of materials, and that materials are also products.
I tried to use ZCatalog to solve this, but it indexed only the current
folder ( eg. /products/bags, but not the /products/materials ).

The layout:

/products/
  materials/
    natural1/
      icon.gif,
      etc...
    natural2/
    coloured/
      black/
      orange/

  bags/
    djbag/
      ( here i'd like to have a manually edited list of links to materials )
    backpack/

/cart/
  list
    ( here i'd like to resolve object ids like /products/bags/dj )
  edit

Your help would be appreciated,

 martin