[Zope] Newbie Design Issue

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 09:13:01 -0800

I'm not sure about all the parameters of your situation, but I may
be working on something similar, so consider this.

How about if you write an external method SetupComputer that will
create a dtml method for each computer from an HTML form that the
user fills out. SetupComputer would take each form input field and
turn it into a property of the dtml method (this way you can change
your checklist by changing the HTML form). The body of the dtml
method could be some dtml code that will go through and display
each of the properties. Then each computer is represented by its
own dtml method object, and you can write dtml code to
automatically list them. Making changes is also fairly simple, and
you could add and delete properties as you wish.

A nice side effect of this approach is that you can easily use all
the existing Zope stuff for editing properties and documents,
rather than having to roll everything from scratch.

On 11/25/01 at 1:20 AM Jeremy Lowery wrote:

>I've just got involved with Zope, but I'm fairly versued in
traditional
>web
>development, and python.
>
>I'm currently working on an app that tracks seting up computers
based on a
>"check list" type deal, and who was responsible for it. If this
were just
>static "check list" of things that had to be done, this would be
easy, but
>it needs the facilities to allow users to make new check lists,
edit them,
>and destroy them.
>
>Since I'm not an old pro at Zope, I figured that I would just use
some
>ZClasses to represent these things. My question is, what would be
the
>easiest (as far as time, and need of indepth knowledge of Zope)
way to do
>this? The ideas I have are...to let users enter in Check List
items and
>then
>dynamically generate Zope Objects that represent each check
list...Or
>another way would be to have Zope objects for all the check list
items,
>and
>the check lists, and then more objects for the actual data stored
in the
>check lists (Like who installed this piece of software, and what
is the
>Computer's Service and Serial numbers.)
>
>As I said, the main purpose of this post is to get design ideas.
>Origionally, I had set this up in a RDBMS but that would cause too
much
>overhead.
>
>Jeremy

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar