[Zope] Multiple sites, shared content

Mike Renfro renfro@tntech.edu
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:02:55 -0600

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:09:25AM -0800, Howard Hansen wrote:

> Ideally, I'd like to have a single folder for all shared content,
> which would allow us to eliminate dual maintenance.  Each state will
> have its own domain and I'd like the shared content to appear to be
> local, and have the option of replacing the shared content with
> customized content for a state that has it.

At least this part can be easy. Try a tree structure similar to the
following:

- folder1
  - standard_html_header (dtml method)
  - standard_html_footer (dtml method)
  - folder1a
    - standard_html_header (dtml method)
    - index_html (dtml method)
  - folder1b
    - standard_html_footer (dtml method)
    - index_html (dtml method)

All the index_html methods should be something like:

  <dtml-var standard_html_header>
  Some content
  <dtml-var standard_html_footer>

If you make changes to the standard_html_header in folder1a, or the
standard_html_footer in folder1b, their respective index_html
renderings will show those changes. However, they both should inherit
any non-local objects from folder1.

Advantage: easy. Just simple acquisition.

Disadvantage: clutters up a parent folder.

> Finally, it would be very nice to have search catalogs treat shared
> data as local.

Don't know about this part.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu