[Zope] CoreSessionTracking: Brute-Forcing Web Application Session IDs

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:49:21 +0100

> Also, I actually think it's a more effective defense to not rely on a
> session id to protect data.  There was lots of discussion about this
> when CST was in its infancy, and the decision was to recommend that
> folks not use sessioning to try to protect sensitive data.  The
> shared-key encryption of a sessionid if IP addresses are not used in
> the hash seem like only a step above pig latin.  Instead if you need
> to do something sensitive, use a username/password combination.
>
> Does this seem reasonable?

Hi!

You are right that sessions might not be the rigth thing to protect really
secure stuff, like Extranet access, but I would not want to have anonymous
users of a shopping cart application log in with a username and password.
These shopping cart applications are where you need both ease of use (which
can only be provided by a session) and (at least some) protection. So it is
a GOOD THING (TM) to have session ids that are relatively hard to guess.
Combined with SSL that seems to be a reasonable thing to do.

Joachim