[Zope] can I move my zope site off zope?

Jacob Singh jacob@prisonbooks.org
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:35:05 -0500

So I'm considering doing a major product with zope, and I'd like to hear
what people think about taking a site off of zope.  I know it's a great
framework to build in, but I'm really used to Database programming and
ma inclined to use that.  I know you can have SQL adapters in Zope, but
for two reasons I don't want to use them, 1. They can be a hassle to set
up and since this is a distributed app, this might be a problem.  2.  It
doesn't really take advantage of the object oriented nature of zope's
content management.  It basically then is just an excuse for a good
templating engine.  What I am worried about though is if I build my
product without SQL(it is a task management/portal suite),  it will
forever live on Zope, and getting to that data from other programs will
be next to impossible.  Does anybody have any experience/advice on this,
please let's hear from the zealots AND the skeptics. I know Zope is
awesome, I just want to make sure it doesn't get me in a proprietary
bind.
Thanx