[Zope] Zope port and provider

Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud@xs4all.nl
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:51:46 +0100 (CET)

> Hi all a friend of mine fired this question at me can someone help me
> give him a awnser?
>
> "There appears to be a serious flaw with zope:  one needs a zope
> provider. and there aren't too many.  apparently zope grabs port 80 and
> keeps it.  is this true? are there workarounds so that any isp will
> do?"

it is very well possible to put zope behind Apache. By using persistent
CGI, it is not too hard to get this working. Since much of the commands you
need in the httpd.conf can also be set in .htacces, this wil most likely
also be possible when you are on a shared Unix webserver (were you cannot
change the httpd.conf). (I have such an experiment on my todo list ";-)
There are several howto's available to get this working.

Since you are in the Netherlands, another option for you might be hosting
at amaze.nl, they do Zope hosting.

Reinoud