[Zope] Help with Zope Install Errors?

flynt flynt@gmx.ch
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 15:00:41 +0200

Michael Thomas wrote:

> I am running into errors while trying to install Zope on a RedHat 7.1
> servers.  I have tried installing Zope on two servers and get the same
> errors on both servers.  I want to run Zserver as a separate server
> apart from the Apache web server which is running on port 80.  I am
> installing the Zope-2.4.1-linux2-x86.tgz binary.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> When I run ./install, I get the following errors:
>
> Compiling python modules
> File "/usr/local/zope/lib/python2.1/test/nocaret.py", line 2
>       [x for x in x] = x
>
> SyntaxError: can't assign to list comprehension
> SyntaxError: from __future__imports must occur at the beginning of the
> file (test_future3.py, line 3)
> SyntaxError: from __future__imports must occur at the beginning of the
> file (test_future4.py, line 3)
> SyntaxError: from __future__imports must occur at the beginning of the
> file (test_future5.py, line 4)
> SyntaxError: from __future__imports must occur at the beginning of the
> file (test_future6.py, line 3)
> SyntaxError: from __future__imports must occur at the beginning of the
> file (test_future7.py, line 3)
> Then, it seems to creates the inituser, default database, pcgi
> resource file, start script, and stop script without error.
>
> When I run ./start, the Zserver seems to start.  I receive
> instructions about :8080 and :8021 ports, but then I get the following
> error:
>
> PANIC (300) x2 Startup Exception
> Traceback (innermost last):
>
> File /usr/local/zope/z2.py. line 757, in ?
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission Denied: ''
> I have doubled check the permissions.  Every file under
> /usr/local/zope/ is owned by root:users.
>
> What might be going on?  Of course, when I try to open the zope
> program via a web browser, the error says that the server was not
> located.
>
> Thanks for any help you may offer.

Hi Michael,

The errors you get during the installation of the
Zope-2.4.1-linux2-x86.tgz binary should not worry you. They come from a
Python 2.1 test suite, which is not needed for Zope. So, your
installation is fine.

Then during the start, you get a permission error for the file
*/usr/local/zope/var/Z2.pid*. The Zserver is not allowed to access the
process id file due to a permission problem. Which is the user, you use
to start Zope? Do again check, wether this fits with the users:group
*and* permission settings of /var directory and the Z2.pid file. The
problem really lies in that access permission conditions. Something does
still not fit there. The user running the Zope server process has to
have *write* access to that file Z2.pid.

HTH
-- Flynt