[Zope] Very strange access permission problem in 2.4.1

Chris Kratz chris.kratz@vistashare.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:28:23 -0400

Hello Cu,

Just to let you know that we have noticed the same problems with versions
moving to 2.4.  This can cause some rather interesting issues.  Soon after
we upgraded to 2.4 we had a **Major** code update in a version that changed
much of our internal code.  We found to our horror that after we had checked
in the code (saved) that some had checked in and some had not.  So we had a
broken site until we could find each and every object that hadn't updated
and rectify the situation.  It was a major pain.  We have learned our lesson
and try to do much smaller version updates and then check and recheck all
objects to make sure that the new version is committed.  And, we try to only
cut in code now when the majority of our users aren't on the system to
reduce the chance that they will hit the half committed code.  Eventually, I
am guessing that we will probably move to a development version of Zope and
push changes over to our live version with a tool of some sort.

I haven't found a consistent way to reproduce the problem, but it happens to
us on a regular basis.

This was not the behavior before 2.4.  We have used versions since the
inception of this project on a daily basis for six months and this issue
only came to light after we moved to 2.4.

By trial and error, we found that with most object types that didn't commit,
we could enter the object, resave the object and then resave the version.
Most of the time this committed the object.  Depending on the object type,
sometimes you have to make a minor change to the object to force the
transaction (add a space or something silly).

We also found major problems when we added or removed objects in a folder
within a version.  Often times the folder would remain locked even though
all objects committed in that folder after a version save.  I haven't taken
the time to test it extensively, but my hunch is that the problem is with
the delete of an object.  Anyway, we found that if we created a new object
in that folder, saved the version and then outside of the version, deleted
the object, most of the time it would unlock the folder.

We are using: RH 7.1, Zope 2.4.1.  So I doubt that it would be the
mySqlUserFolder though awhile back I did try several different products to
move to cookie based sessioning.  So, I guess there could be some
strangeness going on there.  We are currently using CookieCrumbler and
standard user folders.

Hope that helps.

-Chris
Chris Kratz