[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] login prompt after letting user change his passwor d.

Behrens Matt - Grand Rapids Matt.Behrens@Kohler.Com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:28:47 -0400

[Moving to zope@zope.org, like I guess I should have done in the first
place]

Clark OBrien wrote:

> When you say "the client is still sending the username/password". I
> don't use cookies
> but, because I only use relative urls, Zope seems to maintain the same
> security "context" thoughout the "session" (a relative url would be href
> = "dir1\dir2"). I am looking for some way to refresh this security
> "context" to use the new password.

When you log in to a site that uses basic auth, which Zope does by
default, each HTTP request from your browser comes with your username
and password.  It is totally separate from cookies (although cookies
operate in much the same way.)  Your browser will continue sending the
same username and password until it is closed or gets an Unauthorized
message from the site.

Basically, Zope doesn't maintain that authentication.  Your browser
does.  HTTP is designed that way.

> It is really confusing for the login to pop up at this point-
> particularly because
> it looks like it is asking for permissions to change the password (
> needs OLD password)

Unfortunately, that's the way it works.

--
Matt Behrens <matt.behrens@kohler.com>