[Zope] Assigning One dtml-var to Another

Paul Zwarts paz@oratrix.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:33:18 +0100

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to ask a potentially quick question. I'm pretty much a moron
when it comes to python as I'm new to it all, but I've worked with zope
for a year and half now and I'm getting to be pretty good at it now.
What I want to know is what or why is there such a big difference
between dtml and straight python?

I've built some pretty complex and large sites in Zope, mind you 100% in
dtml. I know it can be done in python, but when you are comfortable with
something, go with it....

Is there really such a vast difference? I've written some complex
session management stuff in dtml and it all works well and stably. What
are some reasons that I should now learn proper python to do the same
job (other than a nice check on my CV and self satisfaction for learning
a scripting language)?

Thanks as always,
Paul Zwarts