[Zope] Profiling / Speed Optimizations

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:35:16 +0000

On 30/10/01 8:46 pm, "Danny William Adair" <danny@adair.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there an easy way to run something like a profiler through my site? The
> site has grown to a rather big and complex monster. Now I'm trying to do some
> optimizations. Apart from what I can _see_ (damn, that article is rendering
> slowly...), I would like to have stats on how time-consuming the different
> "parts" are. I was thinking of writing a little script that accesses every
> object in the ZODB and keeps track of the response times. This seems a bit
> clumsy, though, and reveals only very basic info. Is there something around,
> zope-specific, or maybe some other tool?
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
> Danny

Are you running Solaris?
If so, the bad news is you're likely running Zope as a single threaded
process.

The good news is that Big Python Brains[tm] are on it, and the fix is likely
to be in python 2.1.2. This will mean roughly a four fold increase in Zope
throughput.

Course, if you're *not* running Solaris, then Chris' advice re:
requestprofiler.py on a big M file is a really good start.

Hth
Tone
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140