[Zope] when to opt for a backend DB over ZClasses?

dedmundson@bigfoot.com dedmundson@bigfoot.com
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 13:35:09 GMT

I've done a number of smallish Zope sites that make
heavy use of ZClasses and ZCatalogs.  Now I'm involved
with a project where we need to create (and search over)
millions of objects.  Even though the objects are relatively
lightweight (just a few floats and strings), should we be
using a backend database rather than ZClasses?  This comes
up a lot in the archives, but I've never seen a clear
exposition of when one should forego the beauty of ZClasses
for a more traditional (backend) storage.

Cheers,
Darran.